Friday, October 14, 2011

The Future Me

I have often thought of where I would be when I am seventy.  I never thought I would be were I am though. You see, I am not the average old woman, who stayed where she raised her family and helped out with the grandchildren. While I do like spending time with my family, there was always a part of me that wanted more. I had such a strong wonderlust. So, I travelled. I toured France and Spain, much like I did when I was young. I visited amazing sights like Egypt and Morocco, fished and dined in Japan. I recently decided to settle down, in Italy. If I had not fallen in love with the views, I surely fell in love with the food.
            Italy is a wonderful place. Every morning I go down the street to my favorite little bakery. I spend an hour or two there, enjoying my breakfast while I look into the courtyard, watching children play before they run off to school. Then I take a stroll around the main streets, visiting friends in the market place, and coffee shops. I thought as I grew older, my addiction to a fabulous cappuccino who disappear; such is not the case. My first friends in this country I met in a coffee shop, like most other places I travelled. I may run errands, and do minor house hold chores after my walk. Then, in the evening, my gentleman friend visits. We have dinner, drink wine, and enjoy each other’s company almost every night. We have been together for nearly eight years now.
            While my life today may resemble one similar to a younger woman, there are some changes that I had to get use to. The wrinkles on my face, hands and feet. The increase of grey in my hair, and the decrease of redness. Other than those small changes, plus the addition ten pounds I have gained either due to muscle loss or all of this wonder food I am accustomed to now, I look relatively the same. For that, I am thankful.  I enjoy my life; it certainly was not what I pictured for myself when I was twenty, and thinking of my elder years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment