Friday, November 2, 2012

UPDATE: Kerry has a goal!

Say what? What? 

 

I have finally thought of a way to combine all the small things I want to do into a very large thing. I'm going for my BSN and RN license, and I have a minor in Psychology. I've been thinking of which area I'd want to specialize in, critical care (ICU/ER), oncology, mental health, etc... I also did not know exactly what degree I wanted to obtain on the masters level. There's just so many directions a nursing degree can take you. It's wonderful, but annoying and confusing at the same time.  I also wasn't sure if I wanted to use my Psych minor at all. Recently, I've been watching "Go ON" starring Matthew Perry (Chandler, from "Friends"), which is a quirky show about a life group and their leader, and I fell in love with the idea of being a volunteer life group leader on the side. Still, there's no direct position I can go in to help me feel like I'd be achieving everything I hope to be.

Then suddenly today when I was driving home from class, I noticed a plot of land for sale. The land wasn't good for crops, but too big for just a house. That's when my idea hit me. It'd be perfect for a nice large center, with ample parking. Yes, I actually thought of parking space =P. And my imagine just took off from there. 

I'm been researching different master programs, cause let's face it...I wasn't meant to be a floor nurse my entire life. I don't want to be that burnt out bitchy nurse people dread getting. I rather help who I can, progress through different educational programs and redefine how I help others. I came across a MSN/MBA program option in a few colleges, and it seemed to have endless possibilities. Basically, with that degree I could be a nurse practicioner, a nurse executive, even run my own clinic. Do you see where I'm going with this yet? 

If I do get the MSN/MBA, and set up shop somewhere, it could be the perfect place to combine all the different ways I wish to help people. There would be a "doctor's office", where I see patients with different medical conditions. There would also be rooms for counseling, including family, marriage, abuse/sexual abuse, general mental disorders. I can even hold some life group therapy, and house AA meetings, grief counseling, etc....  I even want some time of social work/philanthropy work there as well, like a Listening Post or Mayo Clinic (where they bring sandwiches to the homeless). I can pull resources from connections I make here in college, as well as in my future job at a hospital (hopefully!). I was even thinking of keeping a shift or two at a hospital, and work at the clinic on my days off from the hospital.

As cliche as it sounds, the sky's the limit with this one. And I'm  in love with it. It feels amazing to have a goal like this that will encompass everything I want to do, and better help treat my patients holistically. So pumped!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment